- 4-6 whole star anises
- 4 Bay leaves
- 2 Whole Cinnamon sticks
- 10 Cardamom pods (optional)
- 5- 10 Whole cloves (depending on how much you like the taste)
- Variation of Citrus (this depends on own taste, for my version I used)
A hand full of Kumquats cut in half
2 Bottles of red wine (750ml each)
2 cups Brown sugar
This is a very simple recipe but perfect for a cold winters evening sitting around a camp fire or even in front of a cosy fire place right in your own home.
- Place all the spices in a pot and lightly roast filling the air with lovely aromas. Careful not to let it burn.
- Add your sliced up citrus fruit (this can be any of your favourites or even only one this really depends on your own taste)
- Add your Red wine and sugar all together in the pot. Stir till sugar is dissolved making sure not to boil before then.
- Lightly boil everything together for about 10 minutes and then strain though a fine sift or muslin cloth.
- Serve this drink hot with a slice of fresh citrus. Because the alcohol boils out it is a perfect for someone that does not like to drink. However a shot of brandy can be added in the glass before serving for those who prefer it.