1.5kg springbuck shank and/or springbuck neck
125g bacon strips
1 onion chopped
250g fresh mushrooms cut into small pieces
4 cloves of garlic
15ml Worcester sauce
pepper to taste
375ml water (add more if needed)
10ml baking powder
pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Rinse the springbuck meat and brown in a pot on high heat. Brown the onion and mushrooms and add to the meat. Toast the garlic cloves in a pan and add to the meat. Add the vinegar, water, salt and pepper. Cover the pot with a lid and place in the oven for 1½ to 2 hours until the meat is almost soft. Add the bacon strips and return to the oven for a further 2 hours, checking on it every 30 minutes. Add more water as needed and be sure not to let it stick or burn. When the springbuck is very tender, remove from the oven and place in a serving dish.
To make the pastry, mix the dry ingredients together. Rub the butter into the flour mix and add the egg and milk. Mix together until it forms a runny dough. Pour with a spoon over the warm meat and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
SOME TIPS ON COOKING GAME
* Marinate meat to enhance the flavour.
* Add enough sheep’s fat or pork meat to mince and wors to ensure succulence.
* A bit of sour cream can be added to enhance the flavour (once the dish is cooked).
TIPS ON ANIMAL SELECTION
* Young animals are best. Leave the big-horned bulls for the trophy hunters.
* Cut the aorta immediately after shooting the animal to bleed it out.
* If possible hang the animal in a cold-room for 2 to 3 days.